Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cell Study Plan for Kids

I am blogging this info because I'm planning to work on some of these with my kids, specifically the oldest during the summer, and if I post them here A. I will be able to find all the resources again when I am ready, and B.They are all here for other people to use as well.

It started because I posted to Facebook about the science songs blog post I made a few days ago.  A friend recommended a Jello cell model project, so of course I had to google it!

The Jello cell takes this basic cell model
Animal cell anatomy
and uses food items as analog for the different organells.

This way the cell is large enough to investigate, dissect, and eat!  Food learning is always a win with kids, and it makes this project something that can be fun in different ways for various levels of learners.

I managed to find a whole lesson plan that includes this and is accessible to anyone here.
Included are the directions for the Jello cell, also found here, which ends up approximating the cell model above in this way:


And other activities including some conceptual worksheets and the lyrics to a cell rap that I was able to locate on YouTube



I'm really looking forward to being done with all of my school work this week so I have a chance to read through it all better and start planning this for after my kids get out of school in a couple weeks!

No comments: